Adjusting to the Travel Nursing Lifestyle
The adjustment to a travel nurse lifestyle can be fun and exciting! It can also be difficult, but if you know how to handle it right, it doesn’t have to be. If you’re planning to become a travel nurse, here are some things you should know about a lifestyle of frequent travel.
- Expectations. This is the single most important thing to consider when you’re moving, especially if you’ve never visited that place before. The truth is, your expectations define your experiences. Before you go off on your new adventure, write down your expectations so that you know what they are. Read them over and remind yourself that you have a 99% chance of every one of those things being different than you think! Be open to new and surprising things, and make it fun.
- Saying goodbye. If you’re starting on a new travel nurse lifestyle, chances are you’ll have some people in your hometown to leave behind. Saying goodbye is hard, but closure is important. Let people know you’re going. Meet with friends and make plans to keep in contact.
- What you need to pack. What you needto bring? Probably nothing more than yourself and your scrubs. Of course, your clothes and books are nice to bring, too. As you prepare to go, redefine “need” and “want” in your mind so you can judge what will be helpful to you and what will be cumbersome. Don’t spend a ridiculous amount of money toting the entire contents of your home across the country every few months.
- Staying sane. Culture stress is a real thing. And guess what? It can happen in another state just as much as in another country! Learn how to handle it in a healthy way. Journal regularly, and start a blog so your friends back home can follow your adventures. Skype friends and family regularly. Write lists of what you love about each place you go.
- Get involved.Becoming part of the community and culture around you will make you feel at home. Make some friends, and find somewhere to volunteer. A sense of purpose brightens life anywhere you are!
These are just a few ways to make a new lifestyle of travel smooth and enjoyable. What about you? What do you do to make transition easy? Share your wisdom in the comments below.